Inveraray Castle is the seat of the Duke of Argyll and Chief of the Clan Campbell (currently Torquhil Ian Campbell, Mac Cailein Mór). It is situated on the shore of Loch Fyne in Argyll near to the traditional county town of Inveraray.
The house is a mostly mid-XVIII Century neo-Gothic design. Work began in 1744, the third Duke having demolished the existing castle structure, and continued for forty years. The end product was not a castle in the traditional sense, but a classic Georgian mansion house on a grand scale.
An 1877 fire was the impetus for the construction of the third floor and the addition of conical roofs to the castle’s towers.
Designers who worked on the house include William Adam and Roger Morris; the interior includes a number of neoclassical rooms created for the 5th Duke by Robert Mylne. These are among the rooms open to the public. The 13th Duke and his family live in private apartments occupying two floors and set between two of the castle’s crenellated circular towers. Recent renovations included the installation of the house’s first central heating.
In 1975 a devastating fire struck the castle, and, for some time, the 12th Duke and his family lived in the castle’s basement while restorations requiring a worldwide fundraising drive were carried out.
Inveraray Castle is a Category A listed building. It is surrounded by a 16-acre garden and estate of 60,000 acres.