Mediæval churches in England and Wales (as across the British Isles and the Continent) were absolutely bursting with colour, with images of Our Lord, Our Lady, and the Saints of Heaven. These images were destroyed or painted-over at the time of the Protestant Reformation. The walls of parish churches and shrines were a veritable catechism in pictures.
St. Teilo’s Church in Wales has been restored so as to look as it did circa 1520. Layers of paint were removed to expose the original mediæval images.
St Teilo’s Church. The building was originally situated outside Pontarddulais, near Swansea, and built in stages, from around 1100 to 1520.
Entry and baptismal font.
Baptismal font with its lid.
View toward the main altar, showing side altars.
A view toward the main altar. Note the hanging pyx.
A view from the sanctuary.
Mural depicting the Resurrection.
Mural depicting the Last Supper.
View of the Rood loft with panels depicting various saints. On the wall, the Last Judgement.
Agony in the Garden.
The Scourging at the Pillar.
Our Lord carrying the Cross.
Noah and the Ark.
The Baptism of Our Lord.
The Blessed Trinity.