Souvenir of St. Columba’s Stone

[Long Tower Church was the first Catholic church constructed in Derry after the Protestant Reformation. The bullaun (Irish: bullán) stone known as St. Columba’s Stone was enshrined here on 9 June 1898, having been moved from its original location by St. Columba’s Well (Tobar Colm Cille) the previous year.] St. Columba’s Stone. No matter what […]

Turoe Stone

The top half of the stone is covered with a continuous abstract La Tène style design similar to that on the Castlestrange stone in County Roscommon. Concentric spirals are carved in low relief to the depth of about 3 cm. It was for centuries a curiosity at a lios, or fairy fort, some 3 km from Bullaun, but was moved to the present location […]