Canna, Cross, and Camel

The island of Canna, along with the islands of Eigg, Muck, and Rum, form the parish of Small Isles, in Inverness-shire. The church of Canna, dedicated to St. Columba, stood about the centre of the island, in the bottom of a narrow glen. There are two burying-grounds close to each other. In the older one, […]

Nigg Stone Restored

In April of 2013, restoration work on the Nigg Stone, an incomplete Class II Pictish cross-slab, perhaps dating to the end of the 8th century, was completed in Edinburgh, and the stone returned to stand in a room at the west end of the parish church of Nigg, Easter Ross. The cross-slab, one of the finest surviving […]

Fertill, Fruitfull, and Full of Natural Grassing

Nar this forsaid iyle on the west syde of it layes Ila, ane ile of twentie myle lenthe from the north to the south, and sixteen myle in breadth from the eist to the west, fertill, fruitfull, and full of natural grassing, with maney grate Diere, maney woods, faire games of hunting beside everey toune, with […]

The South Cross at Mainistir Bhuithe

Muiredach’s High Cross is one of three surviving high crosses located at Monasterboice (Gaeilge: Mainistir Bhuithe, “Buithe’s monastery”). The monastic site is said to be founded in the 6th century, by St. Buithe. It is most famous for its 9th and 10th century high crosses—most notably Muiredach’s High Cross. These crosses are all made of sandstone and are referred to as the North, West, […]

St. Martin’s Cross

ST MARTIN’S CROSS. A high cross of red granite, probably dating from about 800 AD. It is sculptured in low relief and stands 16’8″ high in its stepped base. The name is of no great age. This cross, whose name was recorded by Lhuyd in 1699, stands in a granite base (no.97) 21m W of the […]