Derrynaflan Paten

This composite silver paten, was discovered on 17 February 1980, near Killenaule, County Tipperary, as part of the Derrynaflan Hoard, a collection of five liturgical vessels, including a silver chalice and bronze strainer, dating from the VIII to IX centuries. The paten was assembled from more than 300 pieces. The dish is made of beaten […]

Kilchoman Cross

This parish [Kilchoman] consists of the south-west portion of the island of Islay, known as the Rinns. The church, apparently dedicated to St. Comghan, stood on the west coast, to the south of Loch Guirm. In the surrounding graveyard the present cross stands. Near to it is a fragment of another cross, and in the […]

Menkov Donyerth Ruw

Dumgarth rex Cerniu [id est Cornubiæ] mersus est. Dungarth king of Cernyw ‡that is of the Cornish‡ was drowned. Annales Cambriae, A.D. 875. The site consists of the remains of two 9th-11th century granite cross-shaft fragments and an underground rock-cut passage that starts to the south-east of the crosses and terminates in a cross-shaped chamber […]

St. Ninian’s Isle Treasure

The St. Ninian’s Isle Treasure, dating from approximately A.D. 800, is the finest surviving collection of Scottish silver from the period. The hoard was discovered in July 1958, in the ruins of a twelfth century chapel on St. Ninian’s isle, a land-tied island connected to the southwestern coast of the Mainland, Shetland.  The metalwork hoard […]

The South Cross at Mainistir Bhuithe

Muiredach’s High Cross is one of three surviving high crosses located at Monasterboice (Gaeilge: Mainistir Bhuithe, “Buithe’s monastery”). The monastic site is said to be founded in the 6th century, by St. Buithe. It is most famous for its 9th and 10th century high crosses—most notably Muiredach’s High Cross. These crosses are all made of sandstone and are referred to as the North, West, […]