Kildalton Cross

The parish of Kildalton, of which the church was dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, forms the south-east side of the island of Islay. The original church of the parish stood at Kildalton, a few miles south-west from the entrance to the sound of Islay, where its cemetery, walls, altar, and font still remain. The […]

St. Martin’s Cross

ST MARTIN’S CROSS. A high cross of red granite, probably dating from about 800 AD. It is sculptured in low relief and stands 16’8″ high in its stepped base. The name is of no great age. This cross, whose name was recorded by Lhuyd in 1699, stands in a granite base (no.97) 21m W of the […]